Friday, July 11, 2008

Controlling the panel

While one of my brain's threads was focused on the cabinet design, the other thread could spin on the control panel design. The cheap-ass in me thought about getting an X-arcade prebuilt panel, but the artist in me beat the cheap-ass to a bloody stump and forced me to build a custom panel. Note: The X-arcade isn't really cheap, but I could've bought a used one from a friend.

The small size of the Q*bert control panel forced me to punt the idea of a trackball and basically anything else besides two joysticks and some buttons. That is fine since I will be playing: Ms. Pac-Man, Robotron, Robotron, Pac-Man, and Robotron, and old Nintendo games. I decided on analog joysticks from Ultimarc because then in an emergency, I can play Marble Madness with some speed control. When the stuff arrived in the mail, it looked like this:


I went with some expensive joysticks, so their total price was well over $100. It's possible to get joysticks for much less than that, but they wouldn't have analog control or a built-in USB connection.